Tumble Creek Cabin at Beautiful Suncadia Resort in Cle Elum is Ready For Winter!
Suncadia is a picturesque Washington State resort, with 40+miles of hiking and biking trails, three championship golf courses, local wining & dining and world class spa treatments. This special place is home to the Tumble Creek Cabin designed for one of our favorite clients!
The resort, located on the sunny side of the Cascades, hosts an intimate community that enjoys a rich and diverse collection of amenities. Set just across from, but with easy access to everything at Suncadia Resort, members of the Tumble Creek neighborhood enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer including a grand clubhouse breaking ground soon.
The house blends sustainable modern architecture with reclaimed rustic materials. The clients first hired Coates Design for their home and primary residence on Bainbridge Island—the first LEED Platinum residence in Washington. They worked again with Coates Design who brought the same modern and sustainable design sensibilities to their vacation home in the pristine and beautiful Tumble Creek Community at Suncadia Resort. This home is intended to be a legacy piece for their extended family.
The weather conditions at Suncadia challenged the design team to create a comfortable environment without the use of traditional energy consumptive cooling and heating systems. The team sited the home to take advantage of passive solar strategies and created an abundance of sloped roof to support a 10 kWh PV Solar Panel array. This system is designed to provide all of the electricity required by the home and is engineered to include a Tesla Powerwall. The Powerwall will store extra electricity and maintain functionality during power outages as well as a vehicle charging station for the owners’ electric cars.
Dramatic cantilevered roof planes utilize passive solar strategies by barring the summer sun & heat yet inviting in the winter sunshine. These broad overhangs also create covered outdoor space, much coveted in this climate, and a sheltered entry experience.
This solid mass, along with areas of concrete floor, serve also as a thermal heat sink to help maintain a stable and comfortable temperature inside. There are two primary bedroom suites and a bunk room in the main house to accommodate family members. A separate bunk house has space for recreation and an additional bedroom suite. The two-car garage features an electric vehicle charging station, a wine cellar, and plenty of storage.
Sustainable design features all came together to create a perfectly controlled environment for this special home in this very special place…Suncadia Resort.
- High-performance rain screen building envelope with continuous exterior insulation.
- Over insulated roof beyond required Washington State Energy code minimums.
- Radiant floor heating and Energy Recovery Ventilation System.
- 10 kWh PV Solar Panel array engineered for Tesla Powerwall battery backup system.
- Use of rustic materials, including stone, Cor-ten steel, and reclaimed barn wood with modern detailing.
- Exposed steel and wood structure throughout the main spaces.
- Heating and ventilation system can be monitored and adjusted remotely.
- Massive board-formed concrete fireplace.
- LED lighting
- Energy efficient aluminum-clad wood windows and doors.
- Electric car charging station.